Week Five

WEEK FIVE

In the words of Joan Jett, "a girl can do what she wants to do." This week I wanted to ramp up my research to Level 999, and that's exactly what I did. So, where to begin? Oh I know, let's start with East Lansing. The first thing I did this week was send my first non-Williamston research email! Before I sent it though, I spent a day editing my introductory email, as well tweaking the informational PDF and adding a photo of myself to the email-and then it was off and away to Dori Leyko! Then, the unimaginable happened. Dori, Superintendent of East Lansing Schools, responded to me with indications of approval! WHOOP WHOOP! You should've been there, it was a beautiful moment. Anyways, she said I just needed extra approval from other East Lansing executives (Glenn Mitcham and Michele Huisgen) and then my research was all systems go. As of now (Sunday), only Glenn has emailed me with his approval, but I am not giving up hope on Michele. 

My next beast to slay was the calculation of the average scores from Williamston. This really wasn't too difficult because the spreadsheet did all of the mathematics, but actually organizing the data to my liking was mildly time consuming. In the spreadsheet I also renamed the tabs to include "Williamston" so when others schools take part in my research, their data will be separate. 

Alright, my next task was a little different than the two I have mentioned so far...it was time to experience hybrid schooling....*GASP*. I know, very thrilling. It was the closest I have ever been to living in a dystopian universe, but I wouldn't say I disliked it. What made my first day special was obviously research. Stepping into that classroom for the first time felt like waking up in a heavenly afterlife, or as my dad would describe it, bloody brilliant. What I spent my time on in there, aside from taking in my scientific surroundings, was creating a contact list of 16 Superintendents from Michigan K-12 schools. I would list them all out, but I think I will just wait to tell you the schools who respond to me. I change my mind. This blog is intended to be transparent, so here are all the schools I emailed: East Grand Rapids, Chelsea, Spring Lake, St Johns, Genesee Independent, Avondale, Holland City, Northville, Saline, Brighton, Midland, Forest Hills, Troy, Okemos, Ann Arbor, and West Bloomfield. 

Finally, it was the moment the whole world was waiting for. Not the moment you tear a piece of perforated paper perfectly, not the moment you wake up in the middle of the night and realize it's way earlier than you think, not the moment you wrap yourself in a freshly dried blanket, but something better. It was the moment I finished scheduling to send all 16 of those research proposal emails. Here's a virtual tissue to wipe your tears of joy with.

All in all, it was a very successful, action-packed week and I can't wait to do it all again starting tomorrow. 

Thanks for tuning in!

Stay groovy,

Han


The legendary weekly to-to list. 


Off goes my East Lansing email!


Williamston data = calculated. 


Me, Gwenyth, Sophie, and the spirit of Lauren at school (for real).


16 emails, check!

Popular posts from this blog

Weeks Three & Four

Week Fourteen

Week Two